Chinese name: 华庭寺 (Hua Ting Si).
Location: Inside Western Hill, Xishan District, Kunming City, Yunnan Province.
Opening time: 08:00-17:00
Brief introduction of Huating Temple
The temple was first established by Xuantong Yuanfeng (玄通元峰) in 1320, during the mid-Yuan dynasty (1271–1368). The construction was completed in 1334. In 1339, Xuantong Yuanfeng brought a set of chinese buddist cannon to the temple after he visited JiangNan. At that time it initially called “Yuanjue Temple” (圆觉寺). To Ming dynasty from 1368 to 1644 in 1441, Emperor Yingzong,renamed it “Huating Temple”. This name has been used still today. And it was renovated. But after the Ming dynasty, the Huating temple was devastated by the wars. To 1644 tp 1911’s Qing dynasty 1687 the reign of Kangxi Emperor from 1622 to 1722, Yunnan’s provincial governor Wang Jiwen rebuilt the temple. But in 1857, in the Xianfeng era (1851 – 1861), part of the temple was badly damaged in the Hui Uprising. Only Huating temple was restored in 1883 with a small scale. To then the Republic of China, in 1920, military governor of Yunnan Tang Jiyao invited Hsu Yun to disseminate Buddhism. He supervised the construction of the Huating Temple. To then the people’s republic of china in 1969 the Buddhist text library was neglected. It was then demolished in the following year. Huating temple has been designated as a nation’s key Buddhist temple in Han Chinese area by the state council of china in 1983.
Four Heavenly Kings Hall,
Mahavira Hall, Guanyin Hall
Buddhist Texts Library.
There are over 10 halls and rooms on both sides, including Guru Hall, Abbot Hall, Monastic Dining Hall, Monastic Reception Hall and Meditation Hall. Status of lion and elephant standss in front of the four heavenly kings hall. On both sides of the hall there are the status of Heng and Ha. In the center of the hall enshrines the status of Matreya Buddah and Skanda. Status of four heavenly kings are enshrined in the left and right side of the hall. Mahavira Hall enshrining the status of Sakyamuni, Amitabha and Bhaisajyguru. In front of Sakyamuni’s status are the status of Guanyin and 24 gods of heaven. Totally 500 niches with small status of Arhats are carved on both sides of the bounding walls.
November 6, 2018